If you want to add a text field to a product in your WooCommerce store, it can’t be done without a little help. For stores that want to add customization options for their customers, this can be pretty frustrating.
Throw into the mix not being able to include additional prices for these text fields, and it can pose a real problem.
We’re here to change that. Once you’ve finished reading this article, you’ll know exactly how to add a text field to a product in WooCommerce. Better yet, you’ll be able to do it in just 2 steps using the product fields plugin, Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce.
How Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce Works
When visiting your online store, a customer sees all your products as usual. The difference is, instead of seeing an ‘add to cart’ button, they’ll see a ‘select options’ button.
When they click on it, the customer will be taken to the product page which will show a variety of options.
In this case, we want to allow customers to add custom text to a T-shirt. That’s why the product page contains a text field in which the customer can write any text they want.
After adding the product to the cart, customers will be reminded of their text choice every step of the way.
In addition to text fields, Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce allows you to include:
- Various text boxes
- File uploads
- Radio buttons
- Number fields
- Image swatches
- Color swatches
- Date pickers (calendar fields)
You’ll also have the option to add or subtract an extra cost to your product for each field you include. For example, you could offer a T-shirt that costs $10 extra to customize.
From a store owner’s perspective, all text customizations (and other field choices) are displayed on the order page to make processing easier.
How to Add a Text Field to a Product in WooCommerce
In order to add a text field to a product in WooCommerce, you’ll need to:
- Install the product fields plugin, Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce.
- Create your custom text fields.
That’s it! Below we’ll outline these steps in detail so you can start selling customizable products for your customers.
Step 1: Install Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce
To get started, purchase Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce from the Studio Wombat store: studiowombat.com/advanced-product-fields-for-woocommerce
Then follow these steps:
- Go to Plugins > Add New > Upload Plugin.
- Choose the zip file you downloaded, upload it, and then click Activate.
Now that you have Advanced Product Fields installed, you can move onto adding a text field to a product in your WooCommerce store.
Step 2: Create your custom text fields
In this example, we’re going to be adding a custom text field to the T-shirt we showed earlier.
We’ll be adding this to the product page itself, but if you have multiple products that all require the same text field, you can add these globally instead to save time.
To do this, take the following steps:
- Go to Products > All Products.
- Select the product you want to add your custom field to.
- Scroll down to the Product Data section of the Edit Product page.
- Click the Custom Fields tab.
- Here you’ll be able to create your first field. In this case, we’re going to create a text field.
- Click the blue Add your 1st Field button.
- You’ll now see a section appear with all the options for your new text field. We’ll go through the most important settings here:
- Type: This is the type of field you want to create. You can pick anything from checkboxes to color swatches. In this case, we’re going to select Text as our field of choice.
- Label: Next is the text you want to show above or below the text field. In this case, we’re going to add some instructions for the customer.
- The next few options allow you to further refine the text field. You can choose between a number of things, from how many characters you’ll allow, to if you’ll charge your customers for it or not.
Step 3: layout settings
Once you’re happy with your field options, you’ll be able to adjust its layout settings so it better fits with your theme.
These include the label’s position, if it’s required and if the option changes the product image or not.
Once done, simply Update your product by scrolling back up to the Publish section of the Edit product page. You’ll then see your new text field live on your site.
Make Adding Text Fields to Products Simple
That’s it, your WooCommerce store now has the ability to add a text field to a product in WooCommerce. Once you have this up and running, you’ll be able to offer product customizations and attach prices to those customizations.
Make these changes quickly and easily with Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce.