In the e-commerce space, versatility often translates into higher customer satisfaction, leading to an upward surge in sales. Among the various strategies adopted by online stores, the concept of “Mix and Match” products has taken center stage, revolutionizing how customers shop. It gives a fresh spin to personalized shopping by allowing customers to create bespoke product combinations according to their preferences, right on the product page.
A well-implemented mix-and-match strategy can significantly increase sales while simultaneously fostering an engaging shopping experience tailored to customers’ specific needs.
This handy tool effectively transforms customers from passive buyers to active participants who create their own perfect purchase.
We’ve meticulously curated a list of the top 6 WooCommerce “Mix and Match” plugins that are leading the market in 2023. These plugins are renowned for their ability to alleviate inventory hassles, enhance customer satisfaction, and bolster your sales chart.
So let’s get started and take the first step on the journey to elevating your WooCommerce experience.
Benefits for you and your customers
Integrating a mix-and-match plugin into your WooCommerce store generates all sorts of benefits. Below, we’ve detailed just a handful. Mix-and-match plugins help you to:
- Increase the average order value (AOV): Customers are more inclined to add more items to bundles, and boost the AOV, when they have the opportunity to customize them.
- Foster upselling and cross-selling opportunities: Mix-and-match plugins provide subtle nudges towards higher-priced products or additional items, thus improving your sales and helping customers find products that actually interest them.
- Enhance inventory management: Adopt smart strategies to sell slow-moving inventory, and bundle these items with their more popular counterparts.
The value of mix-and-match plugins doesn’t end there, however – they also have a massive impact on the customer experience! You can offer:
- Greater product choices: Offering a wider range of product types makes it more likely that customers will find items they want to purchase. Someone shopping for cosmetics, for example, can craft a personalized makeup kit that includes all their favorite items.
- Interactive shopping experience: Engage customers with a dynamic shopping journey. For instance, when preparing a custom gift hamper, a customer can choose from various items on the product page, facilitated by interactive elements like dropdown menus, image swatches, and checkboxes.
Taking a proactive approach to potential pain points is critical – and mix-and-match plugins can help you point customers toward appealing product combinations and bundles. What’s more, with the help of a plugin, you’ll also be able to upsell and cross-sell items that are just as tempting.
To make the most of a mix-and-match strategy, you’ll want to check out Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce (APF). This plugin comes packed with features, including text boxes, dropdown menus, and image swatches, all designed to significantly improve the customer experience.
Top 6 WooCommerce mix-and-match plugins for 2023
Choosing the right plugin is a crucial consideration – especially as the demand for personalized shopping experiences continues to surge. So, to help you make the best decision for your WooCommerce store, we’ve compiled a list of 6 top mix-and-match plugins.
1. Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce
Developed by Studio Wombat, Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce is popular among WooCommerce store owners thanks to its expansive customization tools. The plugin boasts a variety of pricing structures, impressive integration with other tools you might already be using, and conditional logic that makes it possible to show or hide fields based on the values of other fields, creating a smooth and interactive shopping experience for your customers.
It also provides a robust pricing model, allowing each option to alter the final product price. You can implement an additional flat fee, quantity-based fee, or percentage-based fee to your product, and for intricate pricing schemes, the plugin offers formula-based pricing or “lookup table” pricing.
Key features include:
- A broad range of input options: Text boxes, dropdown lists, image swatches, color swatches, number fields, checkboxes, and more.
- A user-friendly interface: A seamless setup process that’s intuitive for both the store owner and customer.
- Superior customer support: Responsive support from knowledgeable agents.
The Advanced Product Fields plugin flexibly allows you to add fields to individual products or globally to multiple products at once. It supports tax settings of your WooCommerce store, ensuring a coherent integration. The plugin is also designed to be compatible with various other plugins, and it supports repeatable fields, enabling customers to adjust quantities with ease.
An impressive feature is its ability to alter the main product image based on the selected options, adding another dimension to the visual shopping experience. The plugin is suitable for global e-commerce, offering multi-currency support if you use the popular WOOCS plugin and multi-lingual support through WPML or Polylang. Furthermore, customers can edit their product data directly from the cart page, ensuring a flexible and user-friendly shopping process.
APF’s pricing is competitive, with the premium version starting at $49/year. The plugin offers an incredibly comprehensive and user-friendly solution that puts store owners and customers in charge of creating a personalized, dynamic shopping experience.
2. Composite Products
Composite Products is another solid choice for creating customizable product kits. Not only does the plugin allow customers to create composite products and unique combinations, but it also enhances the overall presentation of your products by showcasing different components throughout the selection process.
Key features include:
- Flexible product grouping: It allows customers to build personalized product kits with variable items.
- Conditional logic: It helps guide customers through the customization process.
- Support for physical and digital products: It’s versatile enough for a variety of e-commerce stores.
Some users might be put off by Composite Products’ complicated setup and its higher price point compared to other plugins on our list. Currently, pricing for Composite Products starts at $9.92 per month.
While Composite Products offers an impressive feature set, APF still stands out for its wider range of input options, more user-friendly interface, and more affordable pricing.
3. WISDM Custom Product Bundles
Crafted by WisdmLabs, the WISDM Custom Product Bundles plugin is favored for its ability to create stylish product kits. Store owners have full control over bundle layouts, and customers can filter eligible products by categories for a more seamless shopping experience.
Key features include:
- Quantity control: Customers can select the quantity of each product in the bundle.
- Dynamic pricing: It offers fixed price bundles or prices based on the selected items.
- Pre-defined bundles: It enables store owners to pre-define specific bundles for quick purchases.
However, WISDM Custom Product Bundles lacks the extensive range of input fields provided by other entries in our list. The plugin also requires users to have a higher level of technical know-how to complete the setup.
The WISDM Custom Product Bundles plugin is available for a single site from $80/year.
4. WooCommerce Mix & Match
The Mix & Match plugin focuses on simplifying the creation of custom product boxes. Customers can easily create their own product bundles and use intuitive features to select items that resonate with them, while store owners have complete control over box layout and display.
Key features include:
- Customizable containers: Customers can fill a container with a variety of products, perfect for build-your-own product boxes.
- Flexible pricing and shipping: You can set prices on a per-product or per-box basis, with shipping handled similarly.
- Responsive layout: It allows for easy navigation and boasts compatibility with various themes and builders.
Pricing for WooCommerce Mix & Match starts at $39/year. The plugin lacks some advanced features like conditional logic and the broad range of input fields found in other plugins.
In comparison, APF for WooCommerce outshines WooCommerce Mix & Match with its versatile input options, user-friendly interface, and competitive pricing, thereby offering a more holistic solution for mix-and-match product creation.
5. Mix and Match Products
The Mix and Match Products plugin offers a streamlined and straightforward way to create custom product assortments. By giving store owners the power to define which items are available, and allowing customers to define specific item quantities, the plugin encourages customers to make bulk purchases without spending money on items they’re not interested in.
Key features include:
- Configurable product collections: It allows for the creation of fixed or flexible product bundles.
- Shipping flexibility: It lets store owners decide whether the product bundle is shipped as a single unit or as individual items.
- Discount capabilities: It provides options for applying discounts on product bundles.
Mix and Match Products’ pricing starts at $89/year. On the downside, the plugin lacks the rich variety of input fields and advanced conditional logic found in some of its competitors.
Compared to Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce, Mix and Match Products falls short on customization and input options. APF, with its wider variety of input fields and user-friendly interface, continues to deliver a more comprehensive solution for creating diverse mix-and-match products.
6. Product Bundles
Product Bundles is geared towards helping store owners build complex product kits. These bundles can be made even more tempting by applying bulk discounts, and users have the option of discounting the entire bundle or individual items.
Key features include:
- Bundle configuration: It allows the creation of customizable and static product bundles.
- Inventory management: It facilitates stock management of individual items within the bundle.
- Flexible pricing and shipping options: It provides multiple pricing and shipping strategies.
The pricing for Product Bundles starts at $59/year, and the plugin can also be used to produce personalized subscription boxes. A drawback is its relative complexity and lack of wide-ranging input fields, which can limit customization.
How to create a WooCommerce mix-and-match website
Establishing a WooCommerce mix-and-match store doesn’t need to be a complicated task. With APF, you can create an engaging and personalized product selection experience in just a few steps.
Step 1: Plugin installation and activation
To kick off the process, you’ll need to install and activate the APF plugin. Here’s how to do it:
- Via your WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins → Add new.
- Upload your .zip file downloaded from your Studio Wombat account.
Click on Install now and then Activate.
Step 2: Product field creation
Setting up product fields is a breeze, too. Via your dashboard, simply head to WooCommerce → Product fields → Add new and follow these steps:
- Give your new field group a descriptive name and select the product(s) to which you want to apply the fields.
- Under the Field heading, select the type of field you want to create, such as a text box, dropdown menu, swatch, or image. Remember, each field type serves a specific purpose for your mix-and-match product.
For instance, if you’re offering a customizable coffee bundle, you could set up dropdown fields for “Bean Type” and “Grind Size”, image swatches for different roast levels, and a text box for personalized labeling.
Step 3: Field customization
Once you’ve established your fields, it’s time to customize them – and each field has its own set of options.
- Use the dropdown menu to see all the possible options (for Bean Type, you could include options like Arabica, Robusta, etc.).
- Swatches: Upload images that provide a visual representation of the product or choice.
- Text box: Set a character limit for personalized labels.
From the Field heading, you can also input granular instructions and conditional rules, define image requirements, and determine where the product label is displayed.
Step 4: Add images with quantity inputs
The Extended version of the Advanced Product Fields plugin offers the opportunity to display product images in a grid format and input the product quantity below. This can be a great way to customize multiple products in an assorted pick-and-mix box (see this demo).
For instance, say you want to offer customers the choice to buy different quantities of various types of coffee beans in one single order. To do so, you need to:
- Create a new product bundle by navigating to Products → Add new. Set basic product details. Make sure to add images so customers can visualize the coffee brands they are purchasing.
- Go to Custom fields → Add your first field. Select Multi-select image swatches using the Type dropdown menu to create individual product selection buttons for customers to personalize their box.
- Add the options that customers can choose from. You can either charge a percentage-based fee, a quantity-based fee, or a flat fee for the selected option. Ideally, you should offer a free option field for pick-and-mix products, while also checking the Selected box for the free option. This way, even if customers don’t want to customize their pick-and-mix product, they can simply buy the standard option without having to select any option or paying extra.
- You can set a minimum and maximum number of products to be included in every box. You can also allow customers to repeat their orders.
- Save your draft and preview the product to see the product bundle creation process in action.
- That’s it, you’re done!
Step 5: Publish the final product
When you’re finished, simply click Publish. Then, you’re done! With the help of APF, your WooCommerce mix-and-match product setup is now ready to streamline the customer journey.
Tips for successful implementation
Below, we’ve highlighted some key pointers to consider in order to ensure the successful implementation of your mix-and-match strategy.
- Choose the right products: Understand your customer preferences, sales data, and product compatibility. Choose products that naturally complement each other and entice customers when bundled.
- Optimize products: Ensure product visibility and usability with clear images, comprehensive descriptions, and intuitive dropdown menus.
- Promote strategically: Use engaging marketing strategies to highlight your mix-and-match offerings. This could include social media campaigns, email newsletters, or on-site banners.
- Evaluate performance: Employ tools like Google Analytics or WooCommerce’s built-in analytics to track the performance of your mix-and-match products, adjusting strategies based on data-driven insights.
- Leverage customer support: APF for WooCommerce provides robust customer support that’ll help you perfect your mix-and-match implementation.
Strategies to optimize your mix-and-match offering
Optimizing your WooCommerce mix-and-match products extends beyond the initial store setup. You’ll need to develop strategies encompassing inventory, shipping, and cross-selling. Below, we’ve outlined a few ways you can create a holistic approach to successfully manage your mix-and-match offerings and maximize your e-commerce success.
- Individual component tracking: Treat each component of your mix-and-match products as individual items with their own stock levels to avoid overselling unavailable products.
- Minimum and maximum limits: Control the quantity customers can select in a bundle by defining minimum and maximum limits. This can help manage stock efficiently.
- Automated inventory management: Leverage plugins like APF for WooCommerce to automatically update stock levels as customers make purchases.
- Integrated shipping options: Evaluate factors like weight, size, and destination when setting up shipping options. Many plugins, including APF, offer integration with shipping methods for accurate cost calculation.
- Packaging options: Consider providing multiple packaging options for customers, allowing them to choose between bundled shipping or individual product shipping.
Upselling and cross-selling
- Complementary product recommendations: Suggest complementary products during the shopping process to entice customers to make additional purchases – APF has the tools you need to facilitate cross-selling!
- Quantity discounts: The WooCommerce Quantity Discounts, Rules & Swatches plugin can help you offer quantity-based discounts to encourage larger bundle purchases.
- Persuasive product descriptions: Ensure that your product descriptions are engaging and persuasive, and give customers a clear snapshot of the value they’ll be getting when they choose to buy mix-and-match bundles.
Elevate your WooCommerce store
Incorporating mix-and-match products into your WooCommerce store can make it easier for customers to browse your products. These customizable bundles are a powerful tool capable of driving sales, offering personalized shopping experiences, and fostering enhanced customer loyalty.
We presented 6 useful mix-and-match plugins in this guide, but APF stands out as a comprehensive solution. The plugin is incredibly user-friendly, meaning absolutely anyone can create customizable product bundles with ease!
Easily create powerful Mix-and-Match products in WooCommerce!Find out more
So, if you’re ready to elevate your WooCommerce store and set yourself up for increased sales and improved customer satisfaction, you’ll want to check out Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce.
Take advantage of the endless possibilities and create an immersive, personalized shopping experience for your customers today!