WooCommerce is renowned for helping store owners all over the world sell products, but it’s also a great platform to promote and sell services.
Whether you’re a coach, a consultant, a freelancer, or a solopreneur, your WooCommerce store is the perfect place to promote your unique skills and set up a service-based business.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the types of service businesses that can benefit from using WordPress and WooCommerce for their sites, along with practical strategies to boost sales, create subscriptions, and offer tiered service packages.
Let’s get started!
Using WooCommerce for service-based e-commerce
WooCommerce is a reliable and flexible platform for all different types of service-based businesses, such as:
- Consulting services: Consulting firms can leverage plugins that have calendar or date-picking functionality to book client appointments with ease. WooCommerce also allows consultants to offer different packages with adaptable pricing options depending on the scope of the work required.
- Digital marketers: Marketing professionals can utilize WooCommerce to create packages for their services, bundling offerings such as Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Pay-Per-Click (PPC), email marketing, and social media management, depending on their clients’ needs. You can also leverage plugins like Woo Subscriptions to set up longer-term partnerships with clients.
- Online courses and workshops: WooCommerce makes it simple for educators in all niches to sell and manage courses with Learning Management System (LMS) plugins like Sensei or webinar plugins like WebinarPress. These tools are also very popular for corporate training and workshops.
- Graphic design services: Graphic designers can leverage WooCommerce as their online portfolio, allowing clients to request custom quotes and even pay invoices. Besides serving as a portfolio, their website can also include predefined design packages with set deliverables, so prospective clients know exactly what they’re getting.
- Photography and videography services: Photographers and videographers can use their WordPress site both as an online portfolio and a booking system for photo shoots or video production. We’d recommend using a robust theme like Astra to create a stunning portfolio website that really showcases your work.
But if you really want to reap the benefits of service-related functionality in WooCommerce, a performant plugin can help you take your e-commerce environment to the next level and truly enhance the customer experience.
Enhancing your service offerings with Advanced Product Fields
Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce (APF) is a plugin that allows business owners to add extra fields and options to their products or services. It is an indispensable tool for selling services online and offering unique experiences to your clients.
Key features of APF include:
- Additional field types: With APF, you can add up to 16 different types of input fields, including text boxes, checkboxes, number fields, dropdown lists, and options for image or color swatches, date fields, and file uploads. These additional fields provide you with a level of customization that extends far beyond default WooCommerce, which is crucial if you want to sell bespoke products and services.
- Conditional logic: This functionality allows you to either display or hide fields, based on the values of other fields. This is especially useful for services that have complex pricing structures or customizable options. For example, if you run a catering service, you can include a “Checkbox” field for allergies. When customers select that checkbox, another field will open up where they can specify the type of allergies they have. This keeps the product page clean and only shows relevant fields to users.
- Pricing adjustments: You can increase or decrease the final service price depending on the selected options. If your services and digital products have variable fees, like a fast-track option for copywriting services, this is especially useful.
- Ability to set up an invoice payment page: Make the payment process hassle-free for your clients by allowing them to pay their invoices to you as if they were purchasing a product.
- Visual product configuration: With this feature, customers can experience a visual representation of the services they select. This feature is particularly beneficial if you offer customization options, such as a bakery selling bespoke cakes.
“If you’re looking to sell services online, you can’t go wrong with the combination of WooCommerce and a tool like APF. Created by people who truly understand the solutions online business owners need to drive success, plugins like APF can make the difference in running a good online business and a great one.”– Maarten Belmans, Founder of Studio Wombat
Creating service packages and subscriptions that sell
Service packages and subscriptions offer a large array of advantages: they allow for predictable, recurring revenue, loyalty among your customer base, simplified inventory and billing management, and stronger client retention. Not bad, right?
However, it’s not just about offering a service and then charging your customers monthly – you’ll need smart strategies to enhance the value of your offerings.
Let’s take a look at a few techniques:
Offer bundles to upsell products and services
You can easily bundle your services into well-curated packages or provide a personalized mix-and-match approach. This way, you do not only offer your customers a perceived increase in value for money – they only pay for exactly what they want – but you also allow for better profit margin potential.
For instance, a freelance photographer could offer packages that include a photo session along with a predetermined number of prints and digital images. They could also offer a discount on quantities of prints purchased, incentivizing customers to opt for more.
Create subscriptions and tiered service options to cater to diverse needs
Offering subscriptions and services with different tiers enables customers to choose a package that aligns with their budget and service requirements.
With tiered options, you can pre-determine what is included in each tier: this is especially useful if you know your services appeal to a few different demographic groups. You could utilize tiers to set up ‘Bronze, Silver, or Gold’ options, which are commonly used in industries like freelance photography.
Your tiers, for this example, might look something like this:
Subscriptions work in a similar way: you can offer your services or products with a number of different options to suit the customer. This is particularly beneficial for client services as the customer can choose to pay for a set amount of hours of work or number of deliverables per month.
Let’s visualize how that might look with this example of a monthly coffee subscription package:
💡Tip: Be careful with your pricing strategies – strike a balance that ensures optimal profitability for you while providing maximum satisfaction for your customers. The price people pay should ultimately justify the results they’ll get by purchasing your services.
Leverage discounts to boost engagement and sales
You can make your services even more enticing to customers by applying promotional discounts during strategic times, for example, a discount on family photoshoots offered right before the Christmas peak season.
Leveraging upsells, cross-sells, and discounts effectively
Upsells, cross-sells, and discounts bring many immediate benefits, such as:
- Increased average order value (AOV).
- Diversified revenue streams.
- Customer loyalty.
Let’s see how you can apply these to your business:
Upselling is the art of convincing customers to buy a higher-priced version of the service or add premium components that would enrich the quality of the service or experience. These strategies bring additional value to customer purchases and play an essential role in driving higher revenue.
For example, if you run a web development service, you could offer a premium-tier service that includes additional services like SEO optimization or extended maintenance.
With these upsell strategies, your customers get more bang for their buck, while you get a higher sales volume. Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce simplifies these strategies by letting you add different input types to your products or services.
Cross-selling involves recommending additional services that complement what a customer is already purchasing. By positioning product suggestions (especially on product pages and during the checkout process), you can have a direct impact on the AOV.
With the help of Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce, a business such as a graphic design service could conveniently suggest a social media promotional kit as an add-on when a customer is purchasing a logo design.
Discounts may seem like a straightforward tactic, but there’s a lot of nuance to them.
Early-bird discounts, for example, attract customers to book or purchase a service shortly after it has gone ‘live’. This lends itself well to events or classes. For instance, if you have an online yoga platform, you might offer a 20% discount on a customer’s first session or a 10% discount on the first 10 sign-ups to a special class. These tempting offers can encourage customers to explore additional paid services like yoga merchandise or extended membership.
Giving customers discounts when they buy more is one of the most effective ways to incentivize people to spend more money on your services. These discounts can be easily implemented with Advanced Product Fields’ sister plugin – WooCommerce Quantity Discounts, Rules & Swatches.
Unlock your service potential with WooCommerce
WooCommerce is cost-effective, user-friendly, and opens up a world of customization that’s hard to beat. If you’re in the services industry, you can easily set up packages, offer subscriptions, and increase your sales with upsells and cross-sells.
However, the platform is even more effective when combined with a product plugin like Advanced Product Fields for WooCommerce.
You can use it as a tool to boost your online store’s capabilities. It helps you build service tiers or bundles, makes up-selling and cross-selling easy with add-on products, and even lets you build your own invoicing page.
Start your journey with Advanced Product Fields today, and experience the full potential of WooCommerce for services!